Hagopian beats buzzer, Saints fall to women, men

by | Feb 6, 2015 | Sports

By Mathew Hartley

Humber’s men’s and women’s basketball teams faced off against the St. Clair Saints last Saturday.

The women’s game came down to the last fraction of a second. With the game tied, St. Clair defended their net and took possession of a critical rebound, but only for a moment.

Humber Hawks’ Natalie Hagopian stole back the ball with four seconds to work with and struggled for any space for a shot.

She pushed and broke free from her opponent and with a quick step-back, she got off a looping jump shot to beat the buzzer.

That dramatic basket sealed Humber’s 56-54 win over the St. Clair Saints in last Saturday’s women’s game.

After being surrounded by exuberant teammates and being announced as the player of the game, Hagopian modestly explained the game’s winning moment.

“It felt great. It felt good not because I was the one to do it, but for the team,” she said.

The visitors had a standout performance from Shannon Kennedy who sank 20 points including four three-pointers, but eventually came up short.

The women Hawks improved to a 13-1 record with the win and only had 19 hours before they were right back at it the next day.

The men’s team then took to the court with a chance to take sole possession of first place with a win.

Humber’s Chad Bewley showed no sign of pressure before the game.

“It’s expected of us. We know what we have to do so we just have to come through,” he said.

After back-to-back games away from home, Bewley also said it’s good to be back home.

“Home cooking is always good before the game,” he said.

The Saints traveled their usual four-hour long bus ride to the GTA, but Trevelle Blythe said that’s nothing new.

‘’I just slept the entire way here, we’re used to it,” Blythe said.

Humber’s star power forward, Tyrone Dickson, scored the first points in the game and he would continue his rebounding dominance, finishing with 10 offensive rebounds.

The Saints would only lead once in the half but mistakes from the Hawks meant it was only a two-point lead at the break.

Humber’s Head Coach Shawn Collins appeared visibly frustrated as he took off towards the locker room and only needed two words to describe the problem.

“Less turnovers,” Collins said.

Humber’s physicality was too much for the Saints to handle in the third quarter as the Hawks finally pulled away with a 15-point lead.

The lead was managed to the end with Humber taking an 85-70 win, and Dickson was named player of the game with 18 points.