Tyler Biggs, Senior Reporter
Due to growing concerns of the COVID-19 virus, which has infected more than 35 people in Ontario and killed one person in Canada, Humber College has cancelled all non-essential trips to heavily effected regions until the end of June.
The announcement comes after the latest discovery of three new cases of coronavirus in Ontario. This brings the total number of cases in the province to 34 with 77 confirmed or presumed in Canada.
Jacqueline Anderson, Humber’s Associate Director of Health and Counselling, declined on Friday to comment to Humber News on the trip cancellation move but did suggest that people follow internal college media to learn of any further development.
“I cannot comment on the future of other trips at this time,” Anderson said.
“Any concerns, though, and someone can go to [the college’s news portal] communique,” she said.
“There are currently no identified cases in the Humber or U of Guelph-Humber community,” Anderson said.
The Government of Canada has been categorizing regions affected by COVID-19 by level and are encouraging special practice when travelling to countries with high cases of the virus.
“The risk to Canadian travellers abroad is generally low but will vary depending on the destination. The Public Health Agency of Canada is closely monitoring the spread of COVID-19 in other countries,” the Canadian government said.
The World Health Organization recently declared the virus to be an international health emergency but the risk to Canadians is still low.
As of March 4, China, Iran, Italy, Japan and South Korea had been deemed either a medium-high risk to public health for Canadian travellers.
However, steps can still be taken to reduce exposure to the virus..
Health experts recommend washing hands frequently, covering up when coughing and staying home when ill to combat the spread of infectious diseases.
Below is what you need to know about COVID-19.